How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My boyfriends dad has died and my boyfriend now owns half of

This answer was rated:

My boyfriends dad has died and my boyfriend now owns half of the house (shared with his mother). We are considering having me move in with him into the spare room. (I am on Income Based ESA and get Housing Benefit) with the only difference being that it is paid to his mother. He is married and in the process of getting a divorce but we are not wanting to live together as a couple we want to keep our finances seperate. Is There a way to do this so which allows me to keep my benefits.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is not

Then there is no way that you can obtain Housing benefit if you move in.

You will have to declare the relationship and on that basis it is highly unlikely that the Local Authority will grant the claim

There is no way around this I am afraid.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will i still be entitled to my other benefits such as ESA ?

Yes you will still be entitled to ESA

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you