How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I received a 21 notice can I be thrown away the property by

This answer was rated:

Hello, I received a 21 notice can I be thrown away the property by the landlord?

Do you mean can you be evicted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I receive any answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand why you take money for nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some said that they couldn't do it.

Are you in the middle of an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does AST mean? I have to leave this property up to 2 nd of September.

Assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it was renewed in 2011 for 6 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first was signed by us in November, 2009.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first we shared this property with my brother in law, and the second one was signed only by me and my husband.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The second AST...

OK but are you currently on an AST? If so, when does it end?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has not been renewed since 2011 and it was signed for 6 months. In June I received the notice 21. And I have to leave the house up to the2 nd of September.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the lanlord evict me any time?

In that case, you are on a periodic tenancy agreement and the landlord can serve a S21 notice at any time.

He has to give you no less than two months notice on or before the date of the rent date. However, if that is done correctly then the S21 is valid and you can be evicted.

He cannot just turn up and change the locks though. He will need a court order to put you out of the house.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even I have a disabled husband and a child?

Yes, your circumstances are not the problem of the landlord I'm afraid.