How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

After failing in a attempt to repossess my property a

This answer was rated:

After failing in a attempt to repossess my property a building society was ordered to pay my ex wife's (joint owner) legal costs I did not attend court) this happened in 1995. I have just found out that the costs had been debited to a second account. I accept that the six year limitations rule apply to the money involved but there is there a time limit on 'contempt of court' which the scociety has committed, if that is the case how do I persue this?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the contempt of Court?
Do the Building Society terms and condition say they can debit charges to the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, Yes the t&c do say they can charge costs to the account but surely they do not superceed the law of the land?

What did the court order say about costs? You had to pay them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court order stated that the plaintive (the building society) pay the costs of the second defendant (my ex wife), they also stated 'there be no order as to the costs of the claim' the society also debited their costs (total £36k for all costs).

Ok. When did you find out about these costs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex is still living in the house and all statements had been going there and I have no access to mail. Having recently retired I decided it was about time to sort things out, there was two registered charges on the property which gave us negative equity, so I proved one was fraudulent (2015) and had it removed and then in May this year obtained account information on the other via the data protection act. When I found the account anomalies I made a formal complaint and have just received the scociety said reponse which was basically saying tough! I referred this to the financial ombudsman and they say it's legal and therefore can't help. I have also been in touch with the court and they no longer have any documentation on this case, but did say I could apply for an extent on the 6 year limitation to try and recover the money.

Do you still have a copy of the original Court order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached. This case is quite complicated and other aspects of it are being dealt with in as much as I was advised to not attend court as it will predudice the outcome, so I did not attend got unfairly vilified but we retained the property.

Ok - you need to apply to the Court for an Order that they are not entitled to debit those costs.

You need to use form N208:

The Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether or not they can debit these costs.

But that is what you need to do - get a declaration from the Court saying they cant charge you these costs.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. Do I need to apply to the court that made the order or my local county court?

Local County Court. You are seeking a declaration on this order.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, yes I am am happy you have answered my question.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you