How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently discovered I am pregnant from an ended

This answer was rated:

I have recently discovered I am pregnant from an ended relationship. The pregnancy was completely unplanned, I had suitable medical contraception in the former of an implant but it has happened nonetheless. My former partner was a liar, a cheat, controlling, verbally abusive and I realised he is an illegal Albanian immigrant involved in the production and trafficking of drugs as his main occupation in the UK. I am unsure whether to terminate or keep the child but if I do keep it he expects me to somehow help him with a visa and give him access to the child. He has already stated it is 'his child, not mine' and he believes he has control over what will happen. If I keep the child I have no intention of assisting him with a visa as we are not planning on staying together anyway I don't see how I could outside of marriage. I also do not want him to have access to the child because I believe he is a danger both to me and it and he has an extensive criminal undertakings and his behaviour renders him an unfit father. He has claimed that if I fail to agree to give him unfettered access to the child and a visa he will go to the police or find a way to take it from me. What are my legal rights here? I wasn't aware being pregnant was a crime and I don't know what I can legally do to protect my child. I've agreed to have a discuss with him about it in a weeks time & would like to know exactly where I stand and he stands with rights before speaking to him.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

The father has no rights whatsoever prior to the baby being born - so if he is here illegally you can report him in the hope that he will be deported before the baby is born.

Once the baby is here then the child has a right to contact with both parents - but you can insist that such contacts take place is a safe environment such as a Contact Centre.

To have any chance of using the child as a reason to stay he would have to show ongoing commitment - unlikely as he will hate going to a Contact Centre.

You do not have to have any further contact with him at this stage if you do not wish to do so

The Police will not be interested and he cannot remove the child from your care when it is born provided you do not put his name on the birth certificate.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, Thank you so much for your advice - very clear and concise!Ok I know this is a daft question but do have any legal responsibility to tell him whether I keep or terminate the child if I don't have to have contact with him?And if he was deported or remained here illegally how would contact through a contact centre happen - surely it would just immediately flag up the he has no right to be in the UK?

Not daft at all - and no you do not

If he is deported then no contact can take place.

If he is here illegally then yes it will be a difficult choice for him wont it

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will. Thank you Clare this has been extremely helpful and at least I know my rights and that I have control and say in my current situation. Really really appreciated.

Good luck I hope all goes well