How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a situation arising at work and would like your

This answer was rated:

I have a situation arising at work and would like your advice, I'm not sure if that falls under employment law or property law.
I moved to London from down south for a job in London. Once In the job I was offered a property to live in. I have lived in this property now for 2 years and 7 months.
No contract was signed for living in the property and a verbal agreement was made. I pay my rent in cash to the owner every month. All household bills are posted to the house in the companies name and they pay these. I have all my personal mail delivered to my current residence.
The reason for this email is I feel is im under the threat of redundancy and would be left without a place to live.
So my question would be do I have any legal rights which could support me in not being removed from the property.
Also could the employer put more people in the house as there is a spare room and verbally he agreed not to do this
Thanks for your help

Hello Adam my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you have an employment contract and if so, what does that say about the property please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AlexI have an employment contract but there is nothing about the property in thatRegards

Thanks Adam. In that case it appears you have a tenancy at will. As you occupy the property exclusively then you have what could be considered an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. This gives you certain right, such as if the Landlord wants to evict you he MUST get a Court order.

So in short the Landlord can not just move other people into the property, you rent the entire house. But if the Landlord wants to remove you, they must give you 2 months notice and seek a Court order.

Sadly you cant stop them doing this because they are the Landlord and they have a right to possession. But they must give you 2 months notice.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks AlexOne more question. Could he up my rent or is there a notice period for that. As again verbally he said he would not do this

He would need to give notice for this. There is also an appeals procedure too under S.13 of the Housing Act.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you