How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49857
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I gave £1,200 pounds in cash to a roofer for materials for a

Customer Question

Hello, I gave £1,200 pounds in cash to a roofer for materials for a new roof. He has since disappeared. He was recommended to me by my nodded uncle he he had gone work for. I have his name and signature as well as his car registration number. I also have two phone numbers on which we have been communicating. He said he was a small businessman and needed the money for materials. This was three weeks ago. He has stopped answering my calls and texts. He has not began the work as promised. What are my chances of getting my money back please? My uncle has checked and the roofer has moved away. Thanks Josephine Hazeley.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I get a reply please? Josephine
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Josephine. My apologies for the delay. How long ago did you instruct the roofer?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Josephine, please can you also tell me whether you have approached the police regarding this matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did report the matter to the police Forest Gate Police Station, London E7. Was told it is a civil matter. That I should seek a Solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau. The officer on duty that night called the numbers on which I have been communicating with the roofer but got no response. According to the agreement, scaffolding should have been delivered and fitted on 8th July. Skip on 8or 9th July. Work to have started Monday 11th July. Thanks Josephine
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Obviously I cannot give you any formal indication of your chances of getting any money back because that would depend on the individual circumstances of this person. You have already tried the police and they have advised you this is a civil matter. So now you have to try and see what you can do yourself to take it further. The last resort option is to go to the small claims court over this but first of all you need an address for him. If you do not have that you would need to do some investigation work to try and find it. If you know his name and town where he lives you can use a service like to get his address but only if he is on the electoral register. Otherwise there could be a private investigations firm that could help you as they have more resources but obviously it would cost you, although it should not cost that much maybe £100-200.

Even if you do find their address, going to court will not guarantee you get the money back. He could for example declare himself bankrupt and assuming he has no assets or property to his name then it is very unlikely that you will get the money back. I have taken people to court myself for debt and have got nothing back so that is a possibility. You have to consider how far you want to go with this and how much you are prepared to send on top of it to pursue it.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if you want to take the matter to the small claims court, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.