How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently found out that I may have a 27 year old

Customer Question

I have recently found out that I may have a 27 year old half-sister in Ghana. I have done a siblings DNA test on my Mothers instructions, and are waiting the results on Wednesday/Thursday. My Father who is the alledged common Father, is acting very guilty and is trying to get us to cancel the DNA test. He has confessed to having affairs. He filling our heads with fear and paranoia about my half-sister being able to claim a lot money of him, and claim part of the inheritance, or there might be other legal implications. My half sister has insisted all along that she wants nothing of us, not a single penny, only to know and love us. Could you put our minds at ease about what she "legally" can do with the results?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father has worked in Ghana for 30 years. He has admitted only last night to having affairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to give my alledged half-sister closure. To put her mind at ease. As well as mine and my mothers. Father is wanting to cancel DNA test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the results are positive I would also like to build a relationship with my alledged sister.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicola please just cancel. Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

In the event that this girl is your biological sister then if your father dies without making a Will this girl would be entitled to a share of his estate.

This can be avoided by him making a valid Will.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks! My Father already has a will. Hence, there is nothing else for him to worry about?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Excellent news!