How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I imagine this is a common problem... I own a house. My

This answer was rated:

I imagine this is a common problem...
I own a house. My girlfriend lives with me, and has done so for approximately 6 years. I have not been asking for rent.
She is sharing a mortgage with her previous partner and is now looking to sell.
Our relationship has not been good for a while, and I am concerned that at some point I will lose half my house to my girlfriend if things turn more sour and the relationship ends.
Where do I stand legally right now, and does change after she has been living with me for any specified amount of time?
Thanks for your help.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Is your girlfriend named on the title of your property?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust in place between you?

-Has she made any significant contributions to the property?

-Do you have children together, if so how old?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Harris.- No, I am the sole nam eon the title.
- No, there are no formal agreements between us
- No significant contributions re monetary spend. I ensure that I pay for "big" items . She has however put effort into changes in the garden (digging and re-planting), which again, I would be happy to pay her for monetarily if an amount was negotiated.
- No, no children between us.My concern is tha

Thanks for confirming. Given that you are in England or Wales, you are not married, the title is in your sole name and there are no formal agreements in place she has no legal interest in the property. Furthermore, as you have no children and she has made no significant contributions to the property she would not be entitled to make a claim for compensation or a share of the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you