How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49803
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

During an employment period at a company I contributed to a

This answer was rated:

During an employment period at a company I contributed to a pension scheme. As I didn't stay with the company for the minimum of two years to retrieve contributions from the company, I therefore only hold my personal contributions with the pension scheme. The contributions was sacrificed from my monthly salary. After leaving the company I failed to inform them of my new address details, and as a result of this I did not receive a letter where the pension company requested me to transfer my savings to another pension scheme. Recently I have contacted the pension company and my previous employer, and the conclusion from the pension company is that I have lost my contributions.
Do I have any legal right to claim at least my own contributions or will it be lost simply due to a failure to report a present address?
Kind regards
Lisbeth Sorensen

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long exactly had you worked there all in all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 year and 10 month

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

First of all you need to check the pensions policy that governed these specific contributions to see what rules applied in the circumstances. This would be like a contract between you and the pensions provider where by enrolling in it and making contributions you agree to adhere to these terms. The terms could potentially state that if you had failed to make the necessary arrangements for a transfer by a specific date you would lose these contributions. However, it has to be a very clear and specific condition covering that and even then, you could always argue that unless the money has somehow been lost because of your failure to follow the rules, they should not keep it and just make a profit out of you in this way. This would otherwise amount to unfair enrichment on their part and unless they have suffered losses or damages as a result of your failure to follow the steps expected of you, they should not just keep that money for themselves. I would suggest that in the absence of such a clause or proof that losses have been suffered by them, you should pursue them for the return of your contributions.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you an follow to pursue this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. If they did not have the right to retain this money, then whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. Before you consider starting legal action you may wish to consider sending a formal statutory demand. This is a legal request which asks the debtor to pay the outstanding debt within 21 days and failure to do so will allow you to bankrupt the debtor (if they are an individual ) or wind up the company (if they are a business). For the relevant forms to serve a statutory demand see here:

4. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.