How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A listed building is falling into serious condition, owner

Customer Question

A listed building is falling into serious condition, owner not attending to repairs etc what can be done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried contacting Historic England and explaining the difficulties you have had with the local conservation office? If not that might be the way forward as well as contacting your local MP about this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was in relation to the legalities and what the local authority's power is in these situations.
They are there to protect listed building is that correct and is there recourse if they don't?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

With respect that wasn't your question. Your question was "owner not attending to repairs, what can be done?" A local authority can serve an enforcement notice but you as a member of the public can't make them do that. My answer makes a suggestion as to how you can proceed now.