How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I hope you can help, I left my husband a year ago because he

Customer Question

I hope you can help, I left my husband a year ago because he was very controlling, I was going to ask for a divorce next year after we have been apart for 2 years.
The problem I now have is, he's been told he has in curable cancer, I don't feel I can now ask for a divorce, but we haven't spoken about finances, what if I'm left nothing, what can I do? Would I have the right to contest a will?
Kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lorraine, thanks for your enquiry. If you were to be omitted from your husband's Will, there is a statute I place called the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents Act) 1975 which states that a spouse can make a claim against the other spouse's Estate if reasonable financial provision has not been left for them in the Will. Although I can't be specific as to what you would inherit under such a claim, the common thread that the Court adopts is that the surviving spouse is entitled to whatever they would have received had the parties divorced. So, you are protected if you do no wish to issue divorce proceedings. You would need to instruct a Solicitor to deal with such a claim if anything were to happen to your husband- basically, a claim must be made within 6 months of death. I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position. If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. All the best, Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lorraine, can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, please don't forget to rate my answer, if I have helped. Kind Regards Al