How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently rented a property but carried out a massage

This answer was rated:

I recently rented a property but carried out a massage business from there during the private tenancy under Shorthand lease agreement. Landlord found out.. Came back from India and is now suing me for his airfare... Can he do that? He says he was sufficiently worried that i wouldn't leave when he gave me notice that he HAD to travel!

Hello name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why are you being sued for airfare please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because landlord says I broke the rental agreement and they had to come back from India to "remove" me from the property. However, i had already agreed to their early termination and informed them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is ADDITIONALLY claiming ALL of the deposit held in the deposit protection scheme. My question is... Even though I DID break the agreement... What can he legally claim or sue me for?

How long had you had the contract for and was there a fixed period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a one year rent with a six month break and they took the six month break when the neighbours told them what i was doing

did you leave as a result of court order or voluntarily ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voluntary. They gave me 1 months notice and I accepted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know what actions he can take.. Can he really claim the whole deposit just because I broke the agreement? And is it reasonable that he charged me for HIS and HIS WIFES airfare to come back because he thought i would cause trouble?

ok. He can't claim airfare. He can only claim the empty period from when you left to the time he re rents the property.

If that period is less than your deposit then you get the balance back and if he refuses you can sue for that.

In any event the deposit will be in an approved protection scheme and you can dispute any deduction with them.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Empty period? The tenancy was properly broken at the six-month break clause. So how long could he leave it empty? and claim back rent from me? How would I know if it has been re-rented or not now? He wanted to move his friend in I am told..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just double checking.. There is no other action he can take against me for running a "business" from his house?

No. Does that clairfy? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you