How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Please can you help me I had an appointment with a

Customer Question

Please can you help me I had an appointment with a compliance officer at my local job centre and I have been told I have not declared when bank account when over 2 periods my bank was over £6000. Once was when I sold my mothers flat and money went into my account and a few weeks later it was transferred into my mothers account I had power of attorney except for about £15000 some got transferred to two of her grandchildren and the rest she gave me and my husband. Also after her death I put her money into our account then paid money to my brother and his children and my children but I was left with over the £6000 in our account. I suffer from depression anxiety and panic attacks and didn't deliberately not tell benefits just didn't give it a thought. I am so frightened
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why didnt you declare this?
What action, if any are they proposing to take?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really didn't think about it all at the time. I need to provide bank statements since 2014 when all this occurred not sure what they will do
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Just to be clear, how much at most, was in the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;123000.00 from a solicitor on completion of mums flat and within 2 weeks £100000 was transferred into her account and £9500 was given to one of her grandchildren
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ah, thats a problem then. You should declare if you have £16,000 or over.

If you can show according to Probate that you were the Executor and you were acting in accordance with your duties then that should be ok,

But really you should have told them beforehand then you would not have had this problem.

You will need the Probate documents to show it was not for your own benefit,.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was when we sold her flat when she went into a nursing home and I had power of attorney so it went into my account then I transferred it into her accoubt
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok, as long as you have the evidence showing this.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she gave us some money for sorting it all out for her. Do I need to get copy of power of attorney
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes you do and evidence of what the transactions are for.

Does that clarify? Alex