How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In summary. Myself and my wife found a builder from Trusted

This answer was rated:

In summary. Myself and my wife found a builder from Trusted who quoted the fitting of a new bathroom in a time of 7-10 days to completion which we accepted. 6 weeks later, financial loss to myself and huge inconvenience to us both, we are left with an unfinished bathroom.
The work which has been done is bad quality and its actually leaking chiahc has caused damage to the property.
Unfortunately he was paid, short of £100 and has gone.In essence he convinced my wife that he was finished and would return to do the final bit of tiling in a few weeks. My wife was boarding a plane and without thinking, transferred him the money. We have had a few texts making excuses etc.
I have sent a lot of emails, all of which are recorded.
He would not turn up with no notice at all etc and we stupidly gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Personally id like to get back every single penny he was given. This was due to the complete waste of our time, financial loss, stress and now the fact we are going to have to pay another builder to redo the work as well as the extra damage caused by leakage.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much did you pay please?
Do you know his name/address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was approx. £2500We have his name and address from Companys House.I was under the impression that to get onto Trusted they would be properly vetted.He had no reviews but we all have to start somewhere and being vetted...why not.We lacked due diligence however that's doesn't make it right.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Do you have any idea how much this COULD cost to do?

To issue a claim £105.
To hear the claim £170

This is added to the Judgment debt.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very much so.I really appreciate your timeThank you

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already doneThank you

Thanks! Alex