How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son was buying a flat and i offered to pay the £500

This answer was rated:

my son was buying a flat and i offered to pay the £500 search cost. i phoned their solicitors to make a payment and was told that i could secure my payment for £60 to protect my money if either parties pulled out, my son pulled out but they will not return my money as they say it was swollowed up with costs and that it was in the small print. i paid over the phone, i saw no small print

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you pay the £60 please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the same time i paid the £500

If you were not aware of the terms then you are not bound by them.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply

Happy to help. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you