How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have had workmen walk of our job after not completing the

This answer was rated:

We have had workmen walk of our job after not completing the work agreed to but charging us the full amount with no 25 year guarantee as per agreed. This was to fibreglass a 19 metre balcony and it is still holding water and cannot have tiles adhered to it.
They damaged our patio throwing large pieces of wood which they have not fixed and have left us with the wrong paving slabs.
We received an invoice on Tuesday and have been given 7 days to pay. What are our rights?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you know the cost of putting it right?
How much is the invoice for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The amount is £2,700 plus vat. I have contacted another company and hopefully they can come tomorrow to look at the problem. Also, we have been in contact with the suppliers who offer the 25 year guarantee and have asked them to recommend someone to complete the work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, we need to contact someone to fix our patio the builders have damaged. All their work was recorded on CCTV and it clearly shows them throwing large pieces of wood playing catch over a glass balcony.

Ok - you need to get several people out to give you quotes for putting the work right - this would then be your loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the corrective works or pay you the cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it not be within our rights to have the balcony and patio fixed. We pay and deduct this from their invoice?

Yes you can do that.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would we have to contact the builders to state our intentions and the reasons why?

Yes of course - you need to write, as I have indicated above and set out your claim.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. Thank you.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather rate after I have put your advise into practice.

Sure, but the question does NOT close and you can come back to it at any time. Sadly I dont get paid by the site unless you rate!
Thanks. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, do I have to pay to come back to you again or can I contact you free of charge next time should something arise?

No, its free.

One charge you have already paid.

Does that help?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. Regards Julia

Thanks Julia. Alex