How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am taking someone to small claims court as he owes me

Customer Question

I am taking someone to small claims court as he owes me money for a bailiffs bill I paid on my credit card.He said he has a tape recording of his wife saying that he had paid me this money back. can this be used as evidence?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the relevance of his wife saying he paid you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he had a conversation saying he had paid me money. The couple owed me money for other debts before the bailiffs bill. They split shortly after I paid the bailiffs money. She is willing to pay off the first dept of £500 but he them owes me for the bailiffs money. During the conversion he said "You know I paid her that money back" she replied "yes", thinking he was talking about the original bill. He says he is going to use this in court as her saying he paid the bailiffs bill. Can phone conversations like this be used in court.? I have bank statements and receipt for the money they owe me. I live in the Wigan area.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

He can try to use it if he wants to.

It really doesn't prove anything at all. One wonders why he was recording it anyway given the circumstances.

I wouldn't worry about that defeating your claim.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If she paid you then she can produce a record of that. That will interest the court. Her claims that she has done so will not.

Can I clarify anything for you?