How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71273
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I left my previous room when my contract ended, giving

This answer was rated:

I left my previous room when my contract ended, giving notice that I wouldn't update the contract, it was april, and I'm still waiting my deposit back. After many calls they don't reply to me. How can I get my deposit back?

Is this a rented room in a house shared with your landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I rented the room via agency online and the landlord wasn't living in the house

OK. What was the contract that you were on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a 6 months contract. Also I discovered to late that my deposit has never been protected

Was this a shared house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks

Did you have an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never heard about it

What type of contract do you think you are on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Find attached the contract

Ok. Did you leave in April?

did you give notice of no less than one month?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I left the 21st of April but I gave the notice the 6th of March so more than a month

Then you are entitled to your deposit back unless there are arrears or damage.

If they do not provide it though then your only option is to sue.

This is not an AST so there is no immediate obligation to secure your deposit in a scheme but that doesn't mean they cannot just keep hold of it.

You can always sue at the small claims court but write to them first making threats of legal action. A letter before action will protect you from costs.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry if I seem stupid but I never had problems like this and is already long time that I'm trying to understand what to do. So where I can find this small claims court and how I can write to them?

You do have the address of the landlord on the contract I think?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the email of the agency, I never met the landlord. But on the contract there is the name of the landlord c/o the agency

Is there an address for either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I red email address.. yes there is an address

There should be as you need an address for exactly these purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I can do a money claim online and then I just need to follow the instructions given?

No, you need to write to them first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to write to the landlord?

Yes, you can send it to the agents.

I would send it to both.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, after I wrote them and nothing change? Because I spoke to them many times already and the agency keep telling me is not their concerns because the deposit has been taken from another private agency which advertise the room online and took the holding deposit.

Then you issue against them at the small claims court.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok all clear now. Thanks for your help and time.