How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My garden boundary was moved by the previous owner over 29

This answer was rated:

my garden boundary was moved by the previous owner over 29 years ago which took some council land ( approx 15 ft x 12 ft ) can they ever claim this back or can i claim squatters rights after maintaining the land for that period of time

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you ever registered the land in your name please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unfortuantely not. We did try but the land registry would not accept it as it was council land.

Ok - is the Council land registered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is registered as council land

Did the Council object to your registration or didnt it get that far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not get that far. My solicitor sent it to the land registry where we were told they refused to add it to my boundry as it was council land.

Ok - then thats ok, you can still apply for adverse possession.

But you need to show 10 years use, excluding all others.

The Land Registry will notify the Council if your intent to register. The Council will then have a limited time to object to it. If they dont then can be registered.

If they do object then your application fails. Unless its registered in your name, you can be kicked off that land at any time, it does not matter how long it has been.

For more guidance please see:
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you