How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have received a Claim Form from the County Court Business

This answer was rated:

I have received a Claim Form from the County Court Business Centre for a claim of a total of £238.10 for an unpaid parking charge of £1.30 that was unpaid whilst parking in a private car park at some shops. On it it says if I ignore the claim form 'Judgment may be entered against you without further notice, making it difficult for me to obtain credit'. Am I legally bound to pay this claim? Should I ignore it or contest it?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did you ever get a ticket for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex no I didn't get a ticket just a letter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't patrol the car park it is just that your car registration is noted and the time of entry and exit, and I assume they got my name and address from the DVLA from that

Ok. Technically you are liable, if you just ignored the letter.

The law changed and under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 the keepers of a car are liable for private parking fines.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean I have to pay the £238.10 they ask for?

Depends how its broken down.
They are entitled to charge for the penalty notice, Solicitors costs on issue and Court issue fee

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually wrote to them, sent the £1.30 unpaid fee, which they refused, then I wrote saying I thought the charge disproportionate for overstaying by 15 minutes, and have since received letters threatening court action

Sadly that makes no difference, you should have formally appealed the decision or taken it to their Regulator.

I am sorry. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I pay or let them take it to court?

Its up to you. If you go to Court and lose, you may also have to pay additional fees.

Does that clarify? ALex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks at least I know where I stand now

Im sorry its not better news. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found Alex helpful and informative

Thanks. Please do take a moment to rate.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you