How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A lady ran out in front of my son on friday. he ran her toes

This answer was rated:

a lady ran out in front of my son on friday. he ran her toes over and took her to hospital but didn't leave his details. The police arrived at 2am today and we think the lady has died. do we need to have a solicitor when we talk to them tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is likely to happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did he call the Police or report the accident please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,He didn't report it to the police although we now realise he should have done. He took her to the hospital but the lady said he should go and she would be okay. He has now been interviewed in his house and been told he just has to wait to see if there are charges.

I think you should be ok.

If it was the case that someone just ran out, then it was just an accident. I am assuming your son was not distracted, ie on the phone or anything.

So if it was the case she just stepped out and didnt look, its not your sons fault.

Clearly this will need investigating as there has been a death.

But based on what you have said I do not think there is an issue.

No, you dont need a Solicitor when you talk to them if you dont want to. He may choose to do so, but doesnt need one.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the police arrived at the house it was 2am and they woke me up looking for my son who wasn't home. I asked if the lady was okay and they said 'we wouldn't be here if she was' and if I asked if she was dead. To which they answered 'we cannot disclose that to you at this time'. I assumed that she had died but in fact she had not. She may have to have her foot amputated though.
Is my son likely to be prosecuted for not ringing the police and if so what are the consequences?He was not distracted/speeding/intoxicated but the police did say he may possibly be charged with 'careless driving'. I don't see on what grounds but could you clarify?Thanks, debbie

He has a legal responsibility to report an accident as soon as possible or in any event within 24 hours. If not, can be prosecuted for failure to report.

Careless driving is where the standards fall below that of a reasonable and prudent driver.

There of course would have to be evidence for this. If there was none, then a charge should not follow.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you; That reassures me about rhe careless driving.Is it likely that he will be prosecuted for failing to report? Who decides and what could the outcome be?Thank you.

The CPS make that decision.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered and rated Alex.