How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Do my boss have a right deduct anything from my salary /?i

This answer was rated:

do my boss have a right deduct anything from my salary /?i have nothing on the papers .am self employed for the same company for 6 yers

It depends whether you want a few lines or whether you want a really robust letter.

If you really want a robust letter, I can give you exactly the wording for that, in the strongest terms, but there is an extra cost.

I can do a few lines for you to insert in your letter on this thread.

It really depends on how firm and threatening you want to be with them.

I don’t know what the payment terms were or how much is already overdue. It seems the agreement was to finish in December 2016

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just want to know do she have right ore not

I apologise for the previous post. It was meant for another thread.

Can we have the background to what’s been deducted and why please? The general rule is that employers cannot deduct anything from salary as it is an unlawful deduction from wages but, you say that you’re self-employed so I need to know the background please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am dressmaker my boss deduct 2000 from my salary and blame me for mistakes what she dan

If you have worked for the same company for 6 years the chances are that you are not really self-employed but are employed and that the employer is simply saying that your self-employed to avoid paying your National Insurance and dealing with your tax.

That would be a matter for you to refer to HMRC

An employer cannot make deductions from salary without your consent and if you don’t have a contract, apart from the fact that you are entitled to a contract on request, if the employer refuses to let you have this money, then you can take the employer either to the Employment Tribunal or Small Claims Court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much

I am pleased to have helped.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid. It does not cost you anything but helps us greatly.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you