How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I missed a payment on my car without knowing it had

This answer was rated:

I missed a payment on my car without knowing it had occurred. two weeks ago I received a card through the door with a number to ring. I was told that my car was going to be repossessed on August 17th if I didn't make a full payment of £12050.32p. I don't have that money. The problem was that I had moved house but only given the change of address to the motor dealer not the car finance people . Payments have continued to come out of my account monthly since the one missed payment so I assumed there was no problem.
is there any way I can arrange to keep my car without having to pay this large sum . I also have concerns what this will do to any credit ratings I have.
Frank Berry

Hello Frank my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How many payments have you made please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have made payments of a £7000 deposit (car exchange) and further payments of £188.98 since 6 10 2014 up to current date without whatever the missed payment was. I stopped my payments last week as I felt sure there was not going to any chance I could keep the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the £188.98 payments are monthly

So how many payments out of how many? Number of rather than value?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have made my full payments of £i88'98 since September 2014 that is 23 x £188.98 + £7000 deposit. Checking my account it would look like two payments were missed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long before I will get a reply?

How many payments are left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were originally 36 months of payment so that would leave another 12 months to pay. Could you please just give me a way of being able to keep the car without having to pay oot this lump sum of £12030

Was it an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - they will need to apply to the Court for return of the car.

At Court you can ask to repay the arrears over the remaining term.

If the Judge accepts this you get to keep the car and not make the huge £12k payment.

So wait until they apply to Court for return then seek an order that collection is suspended, pending these payments.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would I know if they have already applied to the court? J C A associates seem adamant they can come around next Wednesday 17th and just take the car. Would I need to arrange the court or would they have done so?

Yes you would be notified. They can ONLY take the car with a Court order.

But there would be a hearing and you would know.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you