How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband has just left the family home for good two weeks

This answer was rated:

My husband has just left the family home for good two weeks after our youngest daughter was eighteen. As she is due to go to university in September and be in full time education, is he still financially responsible for her in any way?
She needs chiropractic treatment for a locked jaw joint and I will need him to help pay after her allowance on my medical insurance runs out

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Have you divorced, if so when?

-Is there a financial agreement in place?

-What is your income and asset position?

-What is his income and asset position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we haven't divorced. He said he was leaving me on 10th June and moved out on 4th July this year. There is no financial agreement in place. Our children live in the family home with me but they are 18 and 20. I am a teacher and earn £35000 and he is a prison officer and earns £31000. He was removed from our joint account and makes no contribution to our household at all. I don't know what you mean by asset postion. I am living in our mortgaged home and he is renting another property until I get organised and hopefully buy him out. But I just need to know if I am legal allowed to ask him to contribute for Ashleigh as she is not working as due to start her nursing course next month

Thank you for confirming. Specifically in relation to him contributing towards your youngest daughter, as she is going to university and there is no court order for him to provide child maintenance for this he does not have to contribute.

However, if she cannot meet her reasonable needs in university she can apply to court herself for him to provide maintenance directly to her.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you