How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A neighbour has built a set of shallow steps on my land

This answer was rated:

A neighbour has built a set of shallow steps on my land without permission and they are in a dangerous condition leaving me liable if someone is injured. Can I just remove them or do I have to go through the Courts?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you asked your neighbour to remove them please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is on holiday at the moment and so has not been asked but he is an aggressive nasty man.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to ask himfirst

Thanks. If he is away you can just remove it.

Its only criminal damage if you destroy or damage without lawful excuse.

here its on your land - you have an excuse.

So yes you can remove it

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to give everything back to him

Yes you need to let him have whats left - they are his materials.

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I will have the steps removed. Thank you again

All the best. Alex