How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live in the UK since 1988 because I married to a British

This answer was rated:

I live in the UK since 1988 because I married to a British Citizen who is dual national. We married in Hungary and I took my husbands name in the hungarian way: husband's surname husband's Christian names and the end the 'ne' represents I am a Mrs. In the UK I used my Christian name and my husband's surname because these are my names. For 28 years I had no problem to ID myself with my Hungarian passport but I have now. Is there any way I could prove the the 2 name is ***** *****? I am a British Citizen since 2002.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why do you need to do this now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved house and wanted change the address on my provisional driving licence. They asked for my passport for ID and because the slight name difference the licence arrived in a mixed English -Hungarian name. I also applied for a British passport and now they asked me to send my current passport for ID. They already have my original British Citizen certificate. I have a feeling the passport office also will have an issue with the name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Clare,
The British Citizen Certificate is in the British way Maria Lenkei but in the hungarian passport: Lenkei Sandor Jozsefne. To get the Citizenship I had to provide current ID which was alway my hungarian passport. As I said all this years I had no problem to ID myself. I understand these days the security has been tightened. How can I resolve the problem quickly because the passport office waiting for my passport. Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
The Hungarian Embassy will give me a note that the name in the passport is a hungarian name. I fear this will be not enough.
I think it may help if I find a solicitor who can see me with my passport and verify my ID. I am in Worthing, West Sussex but I don't know which solicitor will do this for me.

Do you still wish to use both names?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I would like to use the name what I used for 28 years. I will change the hungarian name to the current one but it takes a long time. Once I have the simplified British version of my name Maria Lenkei, I will change my hungarian passport as well. I would like to remain dual national. I do have problems now with Easyjet as well because the name difference. I need quick solution as I will go to Hungary soon and I have an application for British passport as well. More importantly for ID. All my achievements in the UK looks not real if people want to mach my name to the hungarian passport as ID.

Your easiest option is to complete and sign a Change of Name deed confirming that in future you will only use the Angicised version of your name.

You can find a template for free here

If you prepare one and sign it in the presence of an Independent Witness everyone will accept this as evidence that you are you!

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
This is very good news. I need to know where can I find a solicitor in my area to sign this document for me. Most of the solicitors have specific area like divorce or housing etc. that they only dealing with. What do I have to look for when I am searching for a solicitor that will help to sign this document? Is independent witness could be a friend or colleague who know me for how long?

You do not need a solicitor - a friend, neighbour or colleague will be fine

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria Lenkei