How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have obtained a county court judgement, by default,

This answer was rated:

I have obtained a county court judgement, by default, against company that underpaid a finders fee on a property I introduced to them. They did not respond to the court summons and have failed to respond to any correspondence I have sent by recorded delivery.
Can I place a legal charge on the property which is now for sale.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Is the property owned by the company please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise on the matters I asked about and also tell me if I can take any action by myself or do I need to instruct a solicitor locally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property is now owned by the company

Ok thats ok then. Yes you can make an application.

You will need to apply for a charging order using form N379:

You will also need a copy of the Land Registry title which you can get from:

There is a Court fee for this which is £110 which is added to the debt.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ash,
The property concerned is flat on lease hold. The land Registry Title Deed shows the owners of the head lease i.e the building, but not individual flat owners.
Where do I go from here?regardsJohn M

Ah if it's leasehold you may not be able to. But if the debt is above £5000 you could make him bankrupt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The debt is not over £5000. The company did make a reduced payment into my bank.... what do I need to do to secure a garnishee order on their bank account?

You need to complete a form: