How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have reason to suspect that I am receiving bogus offers on

Customer Question

I have reason to suspect that I am receiving bogus offers on the property I am attempting to sell.
My first offer took over 6 months of pushing back the exchange date and the 'buyer' being out of contact for weeks at a time, making ridiculous excuses for not responding to various contacts from my solicitor and the estate agent. After months of reassurance that he was still interested, the buyer then rescinded the offer with a flippant one-line email stating that he couldn't be bothered to proceed.
I am now on my second 'offer' and again the estate agent is being fobbed off with excuses at every stage of trying to obtain documentation, arrange a survey etc.
I have reason to believe a malicious person from my past is making bogus offers in an attempt to maintain control and hamper my plans to move on. Do I have any legal recourse to prevent this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What type of vetting is the estate agent doing over these buyers? Have these buyers provided solicitor details?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJWe did have details from the first buyer's solicitor, but we are still awaiting this information from the second buyer despite the offer being made over two weeks ago. The second buyer spoke to the estate agent last weekend stating he was busy, but would forward details on Monday - it's now Friday and we are still waiting.I haven't expressed these concerns to the estate agents as I am worried that they will hold me liable somehow, or stop working on the sale if they think their time is being wasted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. Technically you could sue someone for an economic tort if they are deliberately interfering in your sale, but this would be a complex claim. Personally I think it is the estate agents responsibility to ensure that the buyers are properly vetted not yours, they should be checking who the buyer is and whether they actually have funds - that is what they get their commission for. They wont hold you liable because of someone else's malevolence. Kind regard AJ