How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In the final divorce settlement in August 2014, the judge

This answer was rated:

In the final divorce settlement in August 2014, the judge ordered that I pay £1500 off the joint bank account (which was in arrears of approximately £4000) and my soon to be ex husband, by court order, should pay the balance.
In May 2016 I paid the final amount of £1500 off the joint bank account and after consultation with them they advised me to send a joint bank release form, which I have actioned! I have had no response to the letter and the form I sent which I know was received as it was tracked and signed for!
Could you please advise me what my options are... I would sincerely ***** ***** to end any financial relationship with my ex - as we both agreed to a 'clean break' I am anxious that this would affect my credit rating , as I understand it to date, he hasn't been paying his obligation to the bank, therefore the account is still in arrears!
Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give me...

Hi, thanks for your question. Can you please attach the order using the paperclip icon?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Has your ex paid off his share of the debt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe he has been paying off his portion of the debt as it was still in arrears, I queried the balance with the bank in May 2016 when I had paid off my obligation regarding the court order. They advised me to send him a form asking him to release my name from the joint bank account, which I did two weeks ago.

Have you asked for copies of the Statements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Cannot access this account online anymore but did ask for a balance which was still in arrears of over 3000 pounds which suggested he had not paid or paid very little off the arrears. I'm trying to find the court order which I know I've received, just having to turn the house upside down whilst drowning in a sea of paper.

have you asked them to send you a paper statement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven' t.

That is where you start - you need the evidence for the court!.

If you have paperwork with your Court number on it you can get a copy of the Financial Order form the court for the cost of Photocopies (although they do charge high)

You can then apply to the court to enforce the Order.

How you do this will depend on whether this was part of the Undertakings at the start of the Order (which I suspect) or part of the Order itself.

If it is an Undertaking and there is a "penal notice" attached then you can threaten to send him to prison; if it is part of the Order then you can use a D11 and ask the Court to order that he pays the money immediately.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!

You are most welcome I hope it goes well

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you