How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I have been married less than 1 year, we've both

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been married less than 1 year, we've both lived in the same address which is rented from the council originally her name is ***** ***** tenancy, I've recently discovered that she's been unfaithful to me and now threatening to kick me out. She has 2 children who live there, a third is 21. Can she force me out of my home? If not how long could the process take before I have to leave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The added problem is 1 child who's come back from care still has a care order on her, social services has previously said that my influence on my wife and this child has allowed her to come home as a family unit. I think this would have an impact on this child and the latest child who she's also had to put safeguarding measures in for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reasonable grounds to suspect she has been seeing someone behind my back and further heightened my concerns as like with me social services has to do checks on these people.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The girl in question Katie has insisted I do not leave this house, mum needs to realise what you did for this family, the latest girl Vicki that Sarah has safeguarded pending a police investigation, Sarah also in one incident involved Vicki to excuse her actions. It's a tricky situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also last thing last night, she contacted police and made an allegation of intimidation, after she was caught out about this affair, she's now taken Vicki over to her aunties, and left the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police took no further action.

Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. As you are married you have matrimonial home rights which allow you to live there despite the tenancy being in her sole name. These rights remain until divorce. However she is able to apply to court for a non-molestation and occupation order if she is able to convince the court that there has been domestic violence or abuse from you and that you being in the property is a risk to her and the children.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you