How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am on a committee of an association. We have been having

This answer was rated:

I am on a committee of an association. We have been having trouble with a disruptive committee member. There are tasks that she undertook on behalf of the association which she is now claiming as her own property. The web domain registration is one example which she will not handover to the association, she is also causing the association damage through the facebook group page and is being disruptive by blocking other committee members from their own Facebook page. How do we get her to sign over the domain name and how can we restrain her from further disruptive behaviour through social media which is causing distress and harassment to the other committee members concerned?

Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the committee a limited company? If not how is it structured? Is the domain unique to the committee? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It's an association ... A bit like a club. Yes the domain name is ***** ***** association name. The association is affiliated to a larger national group which I think has charity status.

Hi thank you. The cheapest way of resolving a domain name dispute is to use the ICANN dispute resolution service - failing this you would have to go to court and get an injunction forcing the return of the property. When she was instructed to register the domain name were those instructions given over email, was it obvious she was doing this on behalf of the company? Would the national charity support your claim?

In relation to the Facebook posts are these abusive or defamatory in nature? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Facebook issue is disruptive and causing stress. The member in question has blocked both myself and another committee member (both of us previously had admin status for the group page) from our group page so we can't see what has been posted nor contact members by posting news updates ourselves. Can an injunction cover this ie removing the block so that we can continue our normal committee member duties. How much does an injunction cost to get?

Hi thank you. An injunction could have the effect you are seeking but I doubt it would need to go this far. Is it possible she is ignoring you because she does not know how serious the issue is - you could get the charity lawyers to write her a cease and desist letter to stop using the intellectual property of the committee and abusing its goodwill - if she sees a letter from a solicitor that gives it the added gravitas that this issue is causing expense and loss and therefore she should take the dispute seriously. An injunction could end up costing her £10k in costs.

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you