How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I had a path and patio designed for my front garden. The

This answer was rated:

I had a path and patio designed for my front garden. The designer recommended a local landscaping firm. Construction was from March to June 2012. From 2015 I could see that levels were rising and falling, cracks appeared between the sandstone slabs, and the edging was breaking away. I contacted the director of the landscaping company. He did not visit but claimed the path and patio had broken up 'due to the heavy clay soil stretching and contracting'. He offered a day's labour to do repairs but did not say what this was intended to achieve. The footway outside is stable, so the base under the slabs must be insufficiently thick or not properly compacted. This was the view of contractors who gave quotes for remedial work. One lifted a slab and showed me the concrete base had cracked. The director told me his firm was closing down and he was retiring from the landscaping industry. However I later saw trucks labelled with the name of his company, which is still operating from the same premises. The website still has the original name and lists the same personnel as before. I sent a Letter Before Action on 12th saying I would take them to the Small Claims Court. No response. How should I proceed?

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How much are you claiming from the contractor? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a lot to do yesterday including new mobile. Hopefully respond more quickly now.

Hi, Thank you. If they are refusing to pay for the damage the next step is to commence a claim. There is an online service for this

Do you have the company name? I can check its registered office and confirm whether it is still trading? Kind regards AJ

Alex J. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terra Firma Landscapes is the name on their trucks. On the invoices it was Terra Firma Landscapes at the top of the page and Knollys Limited at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
Thanks for your advice. However I read that I can't use the money claim online service as I am on a low income (state pension). Is there a paper way of doing it? Also, I think there's a way of getting financial assistance or fee waived.