How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I buy a house in my name in England and then rent it to

This answer was rated:

Can I buy a house in my name in England and then rent it to my brother? My brother has always lived at home with my late parents, is on ESA (the 'sick'), has not worked for 20+ years and I have applied for financial LPA for him (along with my other brother). I will be using money from our parents estate, for which I am executor, to buy a house, which we want in my name so that no-one can persuade him to remortgage it to fund some daft scheme. In other words, it is being done to protect my brother's interests. I would then hope to charge rent to help cover bills. The rent would be minimal, but I assume that he would be able to claim Housing Benefit. I need to know if this plan will work as we have had an offer accepted for a property and both the estate agent and solicitor need to know if it will be bought in my name.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

You can certainly purchase a property and rent it to your brother BUT he will not be eligible for Housing Benefit to pay the rent given the familial relationship.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has this just changed?

As the cuts have bitten this is a rule which is now enforced more ruthlessly then previously

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would he pay bills given his only income at the moment is ESA (£140 every two weeks).

He may also be eligible for PIP -

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.