How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I would like some advice please. My daughter was placed into

This answer was rated:

Hi I would like some advice please. My daughter was placed into my care at the age of 15 months (she will be eight in October) by social services without me signing anything or being on the birth certificate. I would now like to get her a passport but can't because I haven't got anything official to say I have parental responsibility? What do I have to do to get it so I can get her a passport?
***** *****

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Where is the child's mother?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter's mother is a drug addict, and I am unsure where she is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I remember years ago social services stated that my daughter's mother could legally come and take my daughter (albeit that is really unlikely and could notify the police straight away) so it's important that I get the PR if that makes sense. For me though is is more about getting her a passport so I can take her on holiday abroad.


You will need to apply to the Court for an Order giving you Parental Responsibility and a separate Child Arrangement Order stating that the Child lives with you just in case the mother does turn up.

You will need to make the application (for both on the same form) on a C100 available here

The total fee is £215.

At the first appointment the Court may decide that they wish to arrange for Service on the mother - if so then they will arrange it. However if they do then do not worry - no one will remove the child from your care.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for that. Just another question, it states on the form that I must attend a MIAM before going to court. However, it also says there are special circumstances where I would not have to. The fact that the mother is uncontactable, would that fall under the special circumstances? So could I apply without it basically?Regards

Yes it falls under exemption 13.e

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, just one more question then, If they want to want to arrange service on her mother, the court would definitely meet the cost for that?Thanks

There will be no extra cost to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fab and last last question, on the form obviously I am the applicant, who would the respondent be my daughter's mother?


Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you