How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72474
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am possibly going to be charged with common assault i am

This answer was rated:

i am possibly going to be charged with common assault i am out on bail at the moment and i have to report back on the 23rd i refused a solicitor when i was arrested because i was i think in shock that it had happened now i really dont know what will happen next
i have been out of work for three monthes but have now just started full time employment but i have no savings

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
three ways if possible
1/what is likely to happen next this is my first offence
2/would you think i could get help with costs or even free
3/would you recommend that i get legal help
thank you
s webster


What are the facts alleged please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about 7 weeks ago myself and my fiance caroline sharp were arguing in the bedroom i went out the door was accused of running away i turned back caroline was stood in doorway i pushed past she went backwards and hit the wardrobe hard alos hurting her foot she ended up on the floor she cried out in obvious pain i picked her up and said i was sorry repeatedly

Sorry for the delay.

What are the injuries please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bruising to shoulder and foot as far as i can remember i cant ask Caroline due to the bail conditions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a cut arm sorry forgot

OK. You will not get custody but this is too serious for a fine or a conditional discharge. It will be a community order of some form or another.

If you are in work then you are not likely to get legal aid although if you are having a trial then they will appoint somebody to cross examine the complainant for free.

Generally it is better to be represented. You should have had the solicitor you were offered at the police station.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much approximately would a solicitor cost

It depends on whether you get legal aid with a contribution. A private paying arrangement entirely could be expensive. In excess of £1k I would expect.

A barrister under public access to do the trial would be cheaper.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can i find out if i can get any sort of legal aid and is it too late my bail ends on tuesday
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible to answer my previous question thank you

The only way to get to the bottom of that is to apply.

Generally if you earn over £12k you will not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have now been charged with assault by beating caroline and im a little concerned that the police used the word beating as that is not what i said happened they said when i questioned them about this it was how they had to phrase this ,is this true

Yes, it just means any application of force.

The alternative is an assault by apprehension which didn't happen here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great thank you