How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A French bank stole my money by closing my account just

Customer Question

A French bank stole my money by closing my account just before I moved back to the UK, refused to give me a closing statement or letter and won't respond to my e-mails. I have documents of transfers that can prove the money was in the account. Question: this bank has a UK presence. Can I go after them in the UK through the county court system or am I stuck trying to get justice in France?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What sums are we talking about please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm starting to think you just stole my money too. How about a response?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I was just in court. You can't sue the bank in the uk as this will be a different legal entity either Ltd or Plc.

You need to write to the French bank and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You do the by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If you get judgment you can get a European enforcement order so can enforce the uk judgment in France
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?