How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was notified back in February of a motoring offence (speed

This answer was rated:

Hello, I was notified back in February of a motoring offence (speed exceeding 30MPH) and paid the £100 fine in March (within the allotted time allowed).
In July, I received a Single Justice Procedure Notice from Birmingham saying that I was being taken to court for the offence as I had not responded and had 21 days to respond. I duly responded on 14th July (well within the 21 days) and provided a copy of my bank statement showing payment of the £100 fine to HMC had been made and sent it back with the notice asking for this to be considered before sending before the magistrates,
Late July/early August, I noticed my bank account had been credited with £100 from HMC and no points had been put my licence.
I had not heard anything until today when I received a Notice of Fine and Collection order saying the matter had been heard in Magistrates Court on 11th August and I had been fined £220 + Victim surcharge (?) £22.00 and costs of £85.
I had not had any notification of a court date and I am mortified and feel this action is unjust as I had paid the fine and was willing to take the 3 penalty points (which they have now given anyway).
Can you please advise if there is any route to appeal/reparation?

hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Had the £100 been paid within the time allowed by the fixed penalty please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the £100 as paid within the time period allowed following notification of the offence. This is shown on my bank statement. A copy of which was sent with the Single Justice Procedure Notice on 14th July.

You should appeal the decision. It will then be heard at the Crown Court.

So you can appeal the conviction on the basis the penalty had been previously paid.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I appeal. There is no information how to do that?

There is always a right to appeal. Contact the court where the conviction is.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you