How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

For how many years must the land requiring a deed of

This answer was rated:

For how many years must the land requiring a deed of easement been used ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my neighbour is about to sell their property. I have lived in my cottage for 13 years and I have to cross a pice of land {about 6 meters max} belonging to them to access my cottage. This piece of land is a driveway on which I have parked my car for 13 years. This has been no problem but I am advised I need A Deed of Easement...?? My neighbour is 97 and has lived in her property fpr 35-40years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

To claim an easement such as a right-of-way under the Prescription Act, the right-of-way must have been used without consent or objection and not in secret for 20 years or more. That 20 years can include your predecessors.

If the neighbour will agree to this right-of-way deed being registered, you don’t have to have used it for any length of time at all.

Someone drafts the deed, you both sign it, it gets registered at the land registry. It’s as simple as that. Any conveyancing solicitor could do that for you.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have o ly been jere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only been here 13 yrs . What if my neighbour doesn't agree to it ? Can it be enforced ?