How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband has late-onset bipolar and refuses to take

Customer Question

My husband has late-onset bipolar and refuses to take prescribed medication. This latest 'high' has resulted in his spending most of his capital and he is now talking about borrowing a large amount against our house (mortgage paid) which is in joint names. He has just signed a contract to rent commercial premises for over £1000 PCs. Apart from the capital he had he only has pension income. We have been estranged for some years but live under same roof - him in house and me in granny flat which was built for my mum. I am extremely worried that I will end up with nothing and nowhere to live. He is very arrogant and verbally abusive towards me (part and parcel of the bipolar) and I fear for my own sanity on occasion. All I want is to ensure that I have funds to live out my days with a roof over my head. We are both in our late 60s. I don't want to prevent him from opening his business but can he do this with money from our home? I would be grateful for any information/advice you could offer. Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rent for premises should read 'over £1000 pcm'
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the UK are you in?

How much is your home worth and what other assets are there - and what income od you each have?