How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A Friend of mine recently adopted briefly a rescue dog from

Customer Question

A Friend of mine recently adopted briefly a rescue dog from Greece. She filled in a contract form but it was never signed. She paid £250 cash for the dog. The dog was unsuitable for her and I took it back at her request about one day later. When I took I took it back, I let the charity keep our copy of the unsigned contract (unfortunately) so have only got a series of emails to prove the purchase. The charity did not give my friends money back. My question (and my friends) is because the contract was never signed, do we have a case to get a refund for an unsuitable dog, even though we do not have any paper to prove that my friend adopted the dog. Is it worth going to trading standards? The co-founder of the charity was extremely rude to my friend in the email which she sent back after I returned the dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What do the terms say about refunds or termination please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract says that no refunds are given, but the contract was never signed, and when I took the dog back the lady who took it from me said that "we do not keep cash on the premises overnight" which inferred to me that a refund was on the cards. The co-founder of the charity said that dogs are not taken back but the lady doing the house check for my friend said that yes dogs are taken back. The co-founder was very pushy and aggressive and upset my friend.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?