How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

The property that I occupy is registered as my self as sole

This answer was rated:

The property that I occupy is registered as my self as sole owner at Land Registry.
When it was purchased my husband, who was 21 years my senior provided 80% of the purchase price, though placed the property in my name for ease of future occupation should he die.
We signed a trust deed at the time between us, stating we were tenants in common, and that if he died I was to maintain the property or if sold and an new property purchased his share of equity should go to his son at the age of 25.
I have maintained my part of the agreement, and the property now has a small mortgage that I am paying with no issues financially regarding its repayment. My husband died in 2002.
My son is now 25. I now need to transfer the equity 80% of the property into my sons name. I have the deed and my husbands will confirming his wishes.
3 years ago after a terrible civil action that I am still fighting now a final charging order was placed against my property title. No restrictions were added. The transfer of equity to my son will not encompass the sum of the order.
Property value: 250,000 pounds. Mortgage outstanding: 19,000 pounds.
Charge: 15,000
can I give my son his fathers share of equity as per his wishes, and how do I go about this. What effect does the charge have in respect of this action
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: what further details do you need

Hi, thank you for your question. You would be entitled to transfer part of the title to your son and hold the title as tenants in common in 20-80% shares and for the charging order to be linked only your share of the property. You would also need permission from your mortgage company to do this. You can see more about this process here:

Given the potential complexities of this it would be best for you to instruct a local conveyancer who can deal with the transfer and there fees are likely to be a few hundred pounds.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am totally satisfied with the quality of your answer, and I am happy with the fee charged.
Many thanks
Diana Adams

Thank you, ***** ***** it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris