How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I hope you will be able to assist with my query. My equifax

This answer was rated:

Hello! I hope you will be able to assist with my query.
My equifax credit report has been changed to show that I have a debt with Thames Water at a previous address that I left 12mths ago. I never owned the property, neither was I the tenant of the property. I lived there with a friend, whose partner owned the property (although he never lived there). He sold the property last August and I relocated to a new address. My relationship with my friend has since broken down and I no longer no her whereabouts.
I contacted Thames Water and informed them of the above, but they say that as I lived there and I do not know where my friend is living I am liable for the debt.
The debt outstanding (on equifax) is £74. Am I liable?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume you have evidence to show you have only ever lived at your current address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not denying living at the address where the debt has been raised. I was never the legal tenant. My friend's partner owned the property. As I was not the legal tenant; am I liable for this bill from Thames Water?

You never signed up with Thames at all, that was your friend?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ash.
That is correct; I never signed up with Thames Water. I paid my friend monthly rent of £500 which included bills. I don't know if she signed up to Thames Water.

Ok then you are not and can not be liable.

You should make a complaint to the Consumer Council for water. They can investigate your complaint.

They offer a free independent service at

This should resolve the problem. You could also apply to court to have the default removed, but a judge may want to see what the outcome of the complaint is first.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will contact the consumer council for water.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance and good luck.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will rate your answer. Thank you again. I am hopeful of a positive outcome.