How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My car was damaged (rear ended) in queuing traffic by an HGV

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
my car was damaged (rear ended) in queuing traffic by an HGV (5th May 2016.) I took the drivers name, the company details, and photos following the incident. I have subsequently written to the company's owner / M.D (by registered letter 2 months ago) claiming for the damage to my car, (enclosing 3 repair estimates) but have had no response.
What should I do next? (I do not have the drivers full name and address, nor do I know for sure if he is an employee of the company.)

You have reported this to your insurers I presume?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not informed my insurers of the incident as I was not the party at fault, the incident and the damage caused was minor and only to my vehicle, and there were no injuries. As a result I have no intention of claiming against my own insurance and risking losing my no claims bonus.

Doesn't your insurance contract demand that you do disclose any incident?

That would be normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** check the terms of my insurance and act accordingly. However I do wish to personally pursue the third party for the damage caused to my car independently from my insurer, and if necessary take them to court.
Should I sue the driver, company, or both?

What will it cost to put this right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 3 repair estimates were between £950 - £1100

You could sue the driver. There is no reason that you cannot bring a small claims court claim against him.

What could happen though is that he could pass the claim onto his insurer as they are liable on his behalf. They will probably demand your insurance details and disclose to them. They can be a bit mercenary and will take any advantage that they see.

You need to disclose if your contract demands it for that reason alone.

The advantage of suing the driver is that you probably won't meet with the aggression and experience of an insurance company.

The advantage of suing the insurers is that they may just settle and anyway can pay the award as the driver may not be able to.

It really depends what you prefer.

I think overall I would sue the insurers but then I am comfortable with litigation.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo, just to clarify, I only have his initials and surname, along with the company's address. Are you saying that only the driver and not the company is liable, if so, can I force the company to give me the drivers full name and address?

No, both are liable.

I suppose you could get an injunction forcing them to disclose the name of the driver but the cost would be prohibitive.

If you have the registration number then you could ask the DVLA to disclose. You do have a good reason.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so can you please confirm that I can sue the company for the damage in the small claims court?

Yes, you can sue them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Jo, could you just clarify a final point for me; the liability of the company still applies regardless of whether the driver is an employee or independant contractor? (He was driving the company HGV.)

Oh yes, that is not your problem.

They are liable as his insurer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, thank you very much Jo, I really appreciate your advice.