How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a motor trader, I sold a vehicle to a friends family

Customer Question

Hi, I am a motor trader, I sold a vehicle to a friends family member 4 years ago for £4,500 and after many promises she simply refuses to pay for it, I have now started court proceedings against her, she has now appointed her own solicitor to have the judgement set aside, so I have spoke to Allianz insurance who provide me with a solicitor but they said that they cannot help me at this stage because I have already initiated the case without them. What are my options now, as I didn't really want to spend out of my own pocket for a solicitor, regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you want the £4500, I assume so?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes I would, I did ask for the vehicle back but she refuses that as well.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done that, I asked you what shall I do if my solicitors will not get involved because I have already instigated court proceedings!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You can instruct different solicitors. But you should be aware than any legal costs on a small claim can NOT be recovered.

You can also consider a direct access barrister.

Does that clairfy?