How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are a small family run business. We claim reliefs back

This answer was rated:

We are a small family run business. We claim reliefs back from the council for other businesses. A Customer whom I contacted regarding our service said he would like to claim but his company had ceased trading last year. I told him as he was the ratepayer of that company whilst it was trading he could still claim the relief for those years. My son went to get the contract signed and an authorisation form for the council. His wife signed both forms and we applied in the name of his previous company. The council gave him the full relief of £2500. in the form of a cheque made out to his former company. I then rang the council and explained that the company had ceased trading and could they put the cheque into a different name? They agreed. I told Mr Hickman to return the cheque to the council by registered mail with a note of the name he wanted on the cheque, which he did. I waited for Mr Hickman to receive his funds and then invoiced for our 30%. He refused to pay saying that he had had no dealings with us and there was no contract in his name. I have an email from the council stating that it was due to our application that a refund was given to his old company and then when that cheque was returned, paid into his personal bank account.
I would like to know if we have any chance of getting our money if we take him to small claims court?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much do you want to claim please? Did he sign any terms and conditions with you? If so was it him or his company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ash
We want to claim £787.50 plus court costs. As I explained his wife signed on behalf of Seymour Motor Co Ltd. Our contract has 8 T's & C's. His new business is in the name of D S Motors (Lye) Ltd

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial. You can only claim against the old business, not the new one sadly and him personally. You can issue personally because it was paid into his bank account

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to confirm thenI can claim against him personally?

Yes because he banked the cheque.

Does that clarify?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, It wasn't a cheque. The council paid him by BACS