How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

How do I go about getting copies of my house deeds as they

This answer was rated:

How do I go about getting copies of my house deeds as they have been lost

Is the property registered at the land registry?

Is there a mortgage?

Who has lost the deeds?

You can explain your situation and a little more detail itwould be helpful. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know if the property is registered at the land registry as this was my parents house and it was left to my sister and brother and also myself .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property was left to us on their deaths through their wills, my brother and myself live in the property on the agreement of my sister. the deeds were unfortunately lost by myself

You can get the deeds to the house by following this link, if the property is registered a land registry.!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

if the property just doesn’t have a house number and a street, you may be better using the detailed enquiry which is the link just below the search button.

If the property is not registered land registry, you are going to need to get a solicitor to do a first registration for you with lost deeds. It’s a straightforward process but there are certain requirements which make it probably beyond the scope of a person doing it themselves.

There is a process for getting the property registered at the land registry even if the deeds have been lost. This is not the first time this has happened.

You don’t have it already, you are going to need grant of probate to be able to deal with any of this.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you