How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10239
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

As a tenant finding a property to rent in London. The

This answer was rated:

As a tenant finding a property to rent in London.
The letting agent is NRL registered and the Landlord is non UK and lives abroad and has approved NRL addressed to the agent only.
Should I pay the rent to the agent or is it ok to pay direct to the overseas landlord without being at risk of non-resident landlord tax responsibilities?

The tax responsibility is that of the landlord and not yours. What you don’t want to be accused of however is being complicit in transferring money out of the UK against any kind of regulation or being accused of money laundering.

Hence, I would pay the rent to the agent and let the agent do what ever transfers the agent feels fit.

There is another issue with transferring money outside the UK and that is that there is no paper trail for you if the landlord says that you haven’t paid the rent.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

I can still clarify things for you.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you