How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I borrowed my son and daughter in law a total of

This answer was rated:

I borrowed my son and daughter in law a total of £9,000,£6,000 was towards their wedding in April 2015, they have paid back approximately £1,760, I keep asking for the monthly payments,However, they have not paid anything at all back to me since April, My daughter in law is no longer speaking to me, I now need to take this matter further, as this was part of my pension savings, any advice please.

Do they have the money to pay please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They both work full time, The agreement was £300 per month, then they said they couldn't afford to pay£300 a month, In a nutshell they've paid me in drips and drabs,They will not commit themselves to a regular monthly payment to my account. I relented and asked for £100 a month no still nothing from them. Unfortunately I don't have a written agreement with them only my saved emails between myself and son in law. In these emails he clearly states to promise to pay the cash back to me.

Oh that won't be a problem. This is a large sum of money and, although it is your son, a court is not likely to deduce that there wasn't an agreement to pay. Anyway there has been a repayment and also you can rely on your emails as evidence.

Getting judgment won't be an issue.

It is getting the money that is harder.

The place to start is to send them a letter before action though. Give them a 28 day period to either pay or make arrangements to pay.

Make clear that you will sue and seek costs and interest if they do not.

If there is no result then issue against them here

If they still don't pay then you can always seek an attachment to earnings. That is fairly cost effective and works quite well for an employed person.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo, That's all very clear and understood, I will start the ball rolling with a letter of 28 days notice to them outlining what you have mentioned to me.Ian.

No problem.

All the best.