How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Wills My mother requested that property would be left to a

This answer was rated:

My mother requested that property would be left to a specific sibling. No Will was drawn up. 5 out of the 6 siblings agreed that those were my mother's wishes.
The 6 sibling may contest this. Do they have any legal rights to the property

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Just to check - there is no surviving spouse?

Did the one sibling live with her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spouse.
The sibling contesting the arrangement did not live with my mother. The sibling my mother left the house to did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No will was drawn up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Are you aware that the site charges more for a phone call?

Did the sibling who lived with your mother make a financial contribution to the house?

How much is the Estate worth in total?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No phone needed thanks
The estate would amount to £80000

What contribution was made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Monthly payments for upkeep etc £160 a month for 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over 20 years

In the absence of a Will your mother's Estate should be shared equally between the six children - including the house.

It is possible that the sibling who lived there could argue that he (or she) is entitled to make a claim against the estate on the basis that they were reliant on your mother to provide them with a home - and it is possible that they would get a larger share of the Estate because of that.

However they would NOT get the house and accordingly if five of you wish to honour your mother's wishes then the sibling who is going to receive the house may hav eto offer sibling 6 a cash settlement

I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much should the sibling living in the house offer the sibling who wants to claim against the estate?

That is harder to assess without more knowledge of the Estate

Add up the assets - take away the costs of the funeral etc and divide by 6

That is the most the sibling could get - so knock some off and make an offer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you