How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50181
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Dear Ben, I am currently about to publish my second book,

This answer was rated:

Dear Ben,
I am currently about to publish my second book, which will come out this coming December. The publisher made a mess of spelling my name throughout Amazon and their own website. I have asked them to correct this repeatedly, but it's been months and so far they have done nothing. Is there something I can do legally to force them to correct this?
Hi there you have a couple of options of taking this further. One is to try and get an injunction against them in the courts which orders them to change the name as required. This is called a specific performance injunction and if they do not follow it then they could be acting in contempt of court. Sometimes the courts will shy away from ordering an injunction but unless you try you won't know so this is one option for you. The other is to continue communicating with them over this and trying to get them to change the name as required. Advise them that if they fail to do so and as a result of this you suffer losses, such as reduced sales, then you reserve your right to pursue them for compensation for such losses. You would need to try and get some kind of estimate of what the sales would have been had the correct details been used as opposed to what they were with the incorrect details.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow should you decide to pursue them for compensation, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Ben,
Can I myself have a specific performance instructed by the court without having to resort to legal council, and if so what do I have to do?

Hi there, happy to answer follow up questions, in the meantime could please leave your rating for the initial response above, many thanks

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. It is indeed possible to make a claim for specific performance without any involvement of legal personnel. You can make a claim at any time yourself and there is never a legal requirement that you must be legally represented in court. The issue with specific performance is that it is only as good as the other party agreeing to abide by it. No one can physically force them to make the changes so it just means that by refusing to undertake what is ordered of them they will be in contempt of court and may face further repercussions such as fines and more potential losses. If you did want to make an application then you do so by completing form N1 available from the HMCS website.